Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sad event at whitby

Wednesday morning started fairly ordinary, the sun was shining, and I decided to wander round town watching some dancing. I caught Hexamshire Morris by the Bandstand and then noticed a lot of commotion on the beach including coastguards and saw an ambulance arriving and all the crowds being moved back to let a Sea King rescue helicopter land.




Lots of activity on the beach with coastguards and paramedics running about, obviously someone seriously injured being lifted into the helicopter which took off straightaway. I found out later that 3 teenagers had got into difficulty in the water in a dinghy. A rescue had taken place, but sadly one of them died in hospital, a 17 year old boy. Very sad, maybe some family's holiday being tragically ended.

I'd not realised exactly what was happening, and had tweeted that some sort of drama was unfolding together with a picture of the helicopter on the beach.Within an hour I'd been contacted by the BBC and 2 newspapers asking if I had any more photos and could they use them. I sent them what I had but they were fairly poor quality because I'd taken them on my phone, but didn't hear back, so not sure if anyone used them. Was really surprised though at the way they picked it up from one tweet, guess that's the way they get their news stories now.

No comments: