Saturday, September 11, 2010

Birthday break at The Fev

A few weeks ago I stayed at a hotel in Helmsley for a work related meeting, and was dead impressed - both with the hotel and Helmsley.  As Stuart's birthday was coming up, I decided to see if we could get in for a couple of days as I thought it would be a good birthday present. And of course one I could enjoy as well :-)  The hotel managed to find a room for us, and last Sunday I drove Stu up there as a birthday surprise.

The hotel was the Feversham Arms, and I'd recommend it for anyone wanting a treat. Customer service is second to none - little things like candles, joss sticks and matches in the bathroom, freshly made coffee and a newspaper delivered to your room every morning, breakfast in the room at no extra charge, and all of the staff remembering your name. When I'd booked it, I'd mentioned that I was looking for particular dates because it was my husband's birthday, and when we arrived there was a chocolate and raspberry cake waiting in the room for him.

We arrived about 4pm, and were able to catch the last rays of the sun in the courtyard by the outside pool which is heated, and had a swim, a session in the hot tub, and a drink. Dinner in the restaurant was preceded by an G and T in one of the comfy lounges -  scottish gin I'd never heard of before which came with apple instead of the more traditional lime or lemon. Dinner was lovely, and the puddings particularly good - a mixture of several small ones on one plate - my idea of heaven!



The next morning we had a session in the spa. We went in the steam rooms, aromatherapy room, sauna - and I managed to rub myself with ice in the ice cave afterwards!  Then I had a facial and a back massage with hot stones while Stu had a deep muscle massage.  I'm a real sceptic when it comes to alternative treatments, but get me in a beauty treatment room with a therapist telling me the stones channel my chakras and I'm hooked!  More hot tub, then we decided perhaps it was time to actually leave the hotel and visit the town.

Helmsley is a lovely small market town - the market square is surrounded by interesting shops - especially food ones - all beautifully adorned with flower displays.

There's a castle to walk round, and a walled garden which has been restored over the last few years.  It has herbaceous borders, wild flower areas, and an amazing collection of apple trees.  Every kind of apple imaginable - red, green, purple - over 60 varieties.  There's also a good selection of pubs in the market square selling an assortment of real ales, many of which we sampled.



Back to the hotel for a late session by the pool and the hot tub, and dinner in the restaurant again.

The next day was Stu's birthday, so we had breakfast in the room, a lovely leisurely morning, opening cards and presents,  and reading the newspaper.  After doing some food shopping, we left at lunchtime, and on the way back called in Kilburn as Stu had decided he wanted to buy a stool to sit on to the practice the banjo, and wanted to see what the Mouseman had. We'd seen signs for the Kilburn White Horse, but neither of us were sure what it was, and half way down a steep hill, we stopped in a car park called the White Horse car park because we thought we might be able to see it from there.  I got out of the car expecting it to be in the distance, but there it was, right in front of me!

There was a better view of it from the Mouseman visitor centre, and Stu got a really nice three legged stool, complete with mouse!

A lovely couple of days, and I'd certainly recommend The Fev for a special break.

1 comment:

Stuart B said...

It was a fantastic few days away, spoilt rotten, which is as it should be for one's Birthday - thoroughly enjoyed myself.