Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Anaheim, Saturday

Just travelled to Anaheim for a conference. Posts about the conference on my other blog. Set off early, about 6am, and got to Heathrow about 9am. Pretty uneventful pass through all the security checks, some dry free shopping, and we were in the lounge. Whilst waiting for a beauty treatment, I bumped into someone I knew, a colleague from Google on her way to their conference in San Francisco.

Boarded the plane one time, but then we had to wait for some paperwork, about 45 mins, then we lost our take off slot, so we were over an hour late taking off. Watched Alice in Wonderland while we ate, then sat at the bar for quite a while talking to fellow travelers. Started watching Sex and the City 2, but dozed through some of it. I'm not a good flyer at the best of times, and this flight was very bumpy. Much too much turbulence for my liking.

After landing, got the shuttle to the hotel, and soon heard some knocking outside door. Discovered it was someone trying to get into their room, and it was someone I work with in Sheffield. Bit of a coincidence. Kath phoned me to say she was having second thoughts about going out to eat, and while I was telling her about the coincidence of who was in the next room, got a text from colleague, Peter, saying that he was in the room on the other side of me. Apparently he could hear me on the phone. Not very thick walls in these rooms.

Having persuaded Kath to stay up, (you have to stay awake past 10pm when you've got a time difference as long as 8 hours), we ate at a steak house round the corner, where they didn't give you a menu, but showed you a tray of steaks, most of them big enough to roast for a family of four for a Sunday lunch.

Then, back to the hotel for bed, most of us having stayed up for 26 hours.


No comments: