Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Devonshire House update

Time for another Dolls House update!  It's really coming along now, and I've found I'm running out of big things to do.  No more disappearing off to the spare room for hours on end, painting, wallpapering, sawing, flooring!  It also has a name - Devonshire House.  I chose Devonshire because I live in the Devonshire Quarter of Sheffield, and also because of the link to the Devonshire's who own Chatsworth which is a place I love.

I now have a music room, complete with piano, harp, and lots of little sheets of music - not a brilliant picture but you get the gist. I really had trouble with the marble effect floor getting it the right size. The little music books I bought from eBay and they're gorgeous.

I've also now got a bathroom, which is one of my favourite rooms:


There's a lot of detail in here - lots of towels, toiletries and bottles, most of them made by me from glass beads. The floor in here nearly killed me. I bought it as a sheet, which was larger than the room, and I had to cut it to size, keeping the border in the right place and symmetrical. It was like doing a jigsaw. This room also has white wood paneling, made from the same panels as in the first hallway.  I did this room first, then stained the bits left over to do the hall.  Since this photo was taken I've put a lovely wire screen in:


I need to make some towels now to put on the brass towel rail.

The scullery/housekeeper's room is coming along. Because I'd forgotten to paint the ceiling when I decorated this room, i had to do it later, and couldn't get a good edge to the paper. I should have painted it before screwing the roof on, as this is in a separate basement. So, to hide it, I've put a border on, which is the same wallpaper as I've done the top hall in, and a white picture rail. I like this room. It's where I imagine the housekeeper baking, sewing, ironing etc.


There's a lovely little sewing corner, complete with sewing box with miniature pins, cotton etc.


The bottom hall has some dressing in it now, with a hat stand, hallstand, and even a bird in a cage.


I've decorated the top bedroom, but not happy with the dressing at the moment, and it needs more furniture. There's another bedroom going in the attic, so I will swop some of the stuff in here over I think.


Finally, I've taken the wine bottles out of the dining room, and put a cake trolley in - much more suitable for afternoon tea!


So, this is what it looks like now, with just the attic to do:


A bit different to how it looked just last March when it arrived:


I have learned so much - and am still learning. My next project is the attic which will be two rooms, one a ladies bedroom and one a child's room/nursery. There's a bit of building work to do first - a door to put in the dividing wall, and I've decided to put some dormer windows in the attic roof as there aren't any at all. That means you won't see any light coming from the attic, and I do think Devonshire House looks lovely lit up:



No comments: