Wednesday, September 25, 2013

First polymer clay miniatures

In case you thought I'd forgotten the Dolls House....

Of course I haven't, just not blogged about it for a while. Exciting post to come about the "fourth wall", and the orangery I'm building, but what I'm really excited about at the moment is building miniature things for it out of polymer clay.  I've bought loads of beautiful things for it from dolls house shops, from the Miniatura exhibition and from eBay, and all have been beautifully handcrafted. So I thought I'd have a go myself.  Bought a few different colours of polymer clay and set to work. Of course, I soon realised it was harder than that, and I needed tools, chalk pastel paints and liquid clay. But, I'm persevering, and these are my first attempts

A bread loaf, two cheese, tomato and cucumber rolls and a red rose in a black vase:



Some lemons, clementines, apples and pumpkins for Halloween


And some sweet things - a strawberry cheesecake, a kiwi tart, a lemon custard tart, and two cupcakes.


Just realised there's nothing on the pictures to give you an idea of scale, but each tarts above is smaller than a penny.  Not brilliant, but not bad for a first attempt! 




2 comments:

Fergus said...

Love the detail on the kiwi fruit and lemons... did you make those as well?!

Have just acquired a vicarious interest in dolls houses through my 2.7 year old daughter :D

Unknown said...

I have to admit that I didn't make the fruit slices - you buy them as a premade "cane" and slice them thinly :-)

I had to make my 5 year old grand-daughter a dolls house for Christmas - it's a bit more sturdy than mine!