Sunday, November 17, 2013

Barcelona...

Gartner conference in Barcelona last week. Arrived the day before, and made straight for the Placa Reial, my favourite square for lunch. A large beer, which is served in a bucket, ham and tomato bread. Amazing.



Next place to head to is the market. I love this place. Really vibrant, lots of noise, lots of great stalls with good food. A lot of tourists, but a lot of ordinary people buying their fruit, meat, fish and mushrooms. I always take far too many photos....









Then we had time for a quick trip round the gothic quarter, with its huge cathedral, lots of tiny streets and shady squares. The cathedral is really impressive inside, and I found a green man under one of the seats!




The following day we went out early, before the start of the conference, and went round the Gothic Quarter and the coast on a Segway. Yay! I love Segways. These were nice nippy town ones, not the off road ones we've been on before. You can weave in and out of things, even people, very easily, and they stop very quickly. Here we are by the beach


Then the conference started on Sunday lunchtime, and for the next few days I was understandably busy!

Did manage to get out and see the Sagrada Familiar, which is still being built. I first saw it about 20 years ago when it had tower cranes in the middle of it. It still has tower cranes, but they are building the towers. The inside is completed, and amazing.



After the conference had finished, we went to see something new, the Palau de la Musica. A brilliant Modernista building, hidden down a side street. Built in 1905 for the Orfeo Catala, the detail inside it is stunning and it is well worth a visit. These pictures don't really do it justice.





Amazing place. In the evening we went to see the dancing fountain - quite an impressive show!


and then we had dinner in a converted bullring, Las Arenas


What I hadn't realised when I agreed to this, was all of the restaraunts are on the top floor, and its pretty scary if you're like me and don't like heights. I had to have a lot of wine to pluck up corage to have this picture taken!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

David Harrison said...

Great account. Good to see you and Stuart enjoying yourselves too.