Monday, May 16, 2011

Spectacular Morris

It's fairly obvious I'm into folk, and all things related to it, and that (especially if you know my twittername), I'm a clog dancer. I dance northwest clog morris with a team called Yorkshire Chandelier, and have been doing so for over 25 years!  I get really p****d off with the national pastime of knocking our heritage and our traditions, when most other countries take great pride in them.  We can all take a joke - and let's face it, if you admit to being a Morris Dancer you have to be able to :-)   -  but we should celebrate our folk heritage more. This weekend we had a great opportunity to when the National Morris Spectacular took place in Sheffield - about 50 teams of all different traditions danced all day around the city centre - I was pleased to be one of them, although I'm not sure my feet agreed with me at the end of the day. Here's some pictures, hopefully demonstrating the variety of different styles of morris.





















And if after all that you want to see some really good, arty ones, Stuart has posted some here.

No comments: