Wednesday, April 18, 2012

More Dolls House decorating

Time for the latest Dolls House update. Just realised that although I've shown you what the house looks like from the outside, I've not included a picture of the whole house with all of the doors open. So, here it is taken a few minutes ago:



It's getting there, a couple more rooms decorated, and even some furniture.  But, I'm still learning loads, mainly through making mistakes. So, what have I learned recently?

  • Don't stick the stairs to the hall walls until after you've decorated. Wallpapering or even painting round them is going to be great fun now they're all fixed with superglue!
  • Don't try and do anything in varifocal glasses. No matter what angle you're at, it's the wrong one
  • Only stick the carpets down when you're absolutely certain you don't need to get under them again - like to hide wires, or install skirting boards for example.
  • Put the house on a table, and sit on a stool, don't kneel down  - you hurt your knees!
  • Don't try and saw through anything whilst resting it on your knee....
So, what have I done recently. Well, I've decorated the living room:


And I've installed coving to the ceiling. Now, you might think this is no big deal, but I had to mitre the corners. For that I had to buy a very small mitre box and work out which way to cut the strips. Nor easy with my lack of spatial awareness. Only did one the wrong way round. Next thing is to take the carpet up and put some skirting boards in. Then re-trim the carpet because it will be the wrong size. Flooring definitely has to go in last.

I've also started decorating the Music Room with some very nice trompe l'oeil wallper and marble flooring (which isn't stuck down yet)


Last time I posted I'd done the Dining Room, and now I've added some furniture and extra lights:


This is only temporary. I've had to unstick the carpet which needs to be removed to install the lights in the room below, and I think I'm going to put either a dado rail or skirting boards in, or maybe both. Given the amount of movement whilst you're doing the house, getting to the back of it to plug the lights in for example, I'm not sure any furniture will go in until the decorating is finished.

Really enjoying it - I'm learning new skills (I didn't know what mitring was for example until the weekend...), and I'm acquiring my own set of miniature tools. Here's this week's purchases, complete with inquisitive cat!

No comments: