Sunday, January 6, 2013

Devonshire House update

Can't believe how long it is since the last dolls house update! Have been quite busy over the last few months and not had quite as much time to spend on it, but still a lot has been done.

Just after the last update I went to Miniatura, a miniature exhibition at the NEC. I was like a child in a sweet shop! Hundreds of stalls selling all manner of small things. I had intended not to buy much, but came back with quite a stash!


One of the things I thought I'd try was making furniture myself from plywood kits - this bathroom table was my first attempt, and I also made everything on it

I've also done some work on the games room, putting a billiard (snooker, pool not sure which!) table in, and I made the settle at the back from a kit which I stained and distressed!


Unfortunately, I had a bit of help with this room, when my cat Ruby found she could get in it, and started playing with the accessories!


I decided I wanted to change the attic, and put a door in the dividing wall, which I did, and also wallpapered the wall - much easier to do when it's not attached to anything!

I chose some paper for the nursery which had fake wood paneling on, but when I got it, found that it didn't fit as the attic rooms are lower than normal ones, so I had to do some creative cutting and rejoining to make it look OK.

The house looked a bit sad for a while as I had to take the roof off as I wanted dormer windows in the attic. I made the dormer windows myself from a kit, but didn't trust myself to cut the holes in the roof for them, so a friend did that for me. Then I had to work out how to get the roofs of the dormers to look the same as the tiles on the main roof. So, I took a picture of the tiles, and experimented with printing them until I got them the right size, then stuck them on. Genius!  I'd like to say it was my idea, but another friend suggested it to me.  I think the result is pretty good. The dormer roofs look a different colour on the photo, I think that's how the light is reflecting as they look fine on the house. The house looks so much better now, and you can see light coming from the attic rooms, as well as seeing into them.

While the rook was off I decorated the attic. One room became a bedroom - for a teenage girl I think. Haven't quite decided who lives in the house yet.  Someone asked me recently how much I had to do to each room. Well, here's "before", without the dividing wall, but you can see my pencil marks of where it's going:

Well, not quite before as I've painted the ceiling and the edges. The tape on the floor is covering the wire coming up from the light in the room below. This is after:


The nursery on the other side is also almost finished, and you can see all of the attic here:


So, every room is now decorated, but the beauty of dolls houses is in the detail, so lots more things to add. Of course, I decorated it for Halloween:


And for Christmas, but that will have to be another post!

No comments: